Kwi Awt Stelmexw is building a team of leaders who can make a difference in the Squamish Peoples’ lives -- it’s a big job and we’re looking for super passionate, strategic, and dedicated people to make the dreams a reality.
Apply by Friday, January 27th, 2017 at 5pm.
The Squamish Peoples are rising. After decades of dispossession then neglect, the Squamish Peoples are charting their own path forward. Our fundraising campaigns, our language programs, our arts projects, and everything in between is for the betterment of the Squamish Peoples.
At Kwi Awt Stelmexw, you’ll work with a team of engaged, hard-working, and passionate colleagues showing the community and the world what is possible for advancing the cultural identity of the Squamish Peoples, in a flexible, collaborative, and dream-seeking environment.
Volunteer Document Transcribers
- Based in City of Vancouver
- 4-6 hours per week
- Self-directed or team based work
Join the Coast Salish Arts & Education society advancing the cultural identity of the Squamish Peoples.
Description of Position:
Kwi Awt Stelmexw is looking for 6-10 volunteers interested in doing some simple but extremely impactful work in support of Language Revitalization for the Squamish Peoples. In 2016, Kwi Awt Stelmexw was given 500+pages of handwritten literature in the Squamish Language that needs to be transcribed. The literature spans historical legends, real stories, and writings on Squamish culture.
In these roles you can choose to work independently on your own or join a group of volunteers at a transcription party (with free food!) to work on transcribing different documents.
- Access to a laptop
- Able to attend a volunteer meeting on setting up your computer to use the fonts & keyboards to write in the official Squamish Language writing system.
- Able to commit 4-6 hours per week for 4-6 weeks.
Nice To Haves
- Experience working within Indigenous organizations or Indigenous communities
- Agile and flexible, able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English
Apply to join our volunteer team by filling out a volunteer form on our website at
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at contact@KwiAwtStelmexw.com or 778-987-8809